Friday, 19 April 2013

Now That's My Kind Of Sandwich






Well hello there!

Whilst I was writing this blog post here The Camden Cookie Monster about a tasty cookie sandwich that I devoured the other day, I was inspired to try my hand at making one of the little goodies. Now I want to tell you now...whilst I like to blab on about food and I know what I like, I am in no way professing to be a professional baker or chef. I don't own a fancy stand mixer and I'm on a pretty tight student budget at the moment. When I do bake though, I like to keep it basic. When I look for a good wheat-free recipe it's stuffed full of fancy products that I can never seem to find. All the ingredients I used I picked up from my local UK supermarket. So here's something for those who want a simple, stress free cookie sandwich. 

The yummy, squidgey cookie sandwich that I had from "Cookies and Scream" was 2 choc chip cookies sandwiched together with a vanilla and coconut frosting. To start with I'm going to give you my attempt at something a little similar to the Scream Cookie Sandwich...

Oven: 180degreesC

290g Dove's Farm Gluten & Wheat Free Plain Flour 
115g Butter
220g Brown Sugar 
100g Granulated Sugar 
1tsp Baking Soda 
1tsp Salt 
1tsp Xanthan Gum
1 1/2tsp Vanilla (pod or extract) 
2 eggs
300g Dark Chocolate (broken in to chips) 
200g Macadamia Nuts

Cream together the butter and sugar. You know the drill, keep going until it's light and fluffy and the mixture has got significantly lighter in colour. Add your eggs and vanilla and keep mixing together. Sieve your flour, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt and beat thoroughly making sure you can't see any flourey dregs anywhere in the mixture or around the bowl. Fold in your chunky broken chocolate and your macadamia's. 

Roll your mixture in to balls. Now, ball size is up to you. I went for pretty hefty ones with about a tablespoon of mixture for each. Go smaller if you fancy but just keep a beady eye on your babies when they're in the oven. Flatten slightly whilst popping your balls on to a baking tray. I baked mine for 12 mins, so if you're balls are teaspoon size, give them a check at 6 minutes. Your cookies should be golden brown and still squidgey in the middle.



Leave to cool!





Now for your sandwich filler...
You'll need:
115g butter            2tsp vanilla (pod or extract)
500g icing sugar       2-4tsp milk
  
Beat the butter until smooth. Next sift in your icing sugar (about a quarter at a time to avoid an icing sugar explosion!!) I like to start this off by hand to avoid covering my kitchen with sugar. The longer you beat your mixture for, the lighter and fluffier it's going to get. It might not look like it's doing much but waiting those extra three minutes will make all the difference! Add the vanilla and milk and...Voila! 



When your cookies are cool sandwich two together using a good helping of frosting and you're good to go.



Without blowing my own trumpet...these are seriously yummy! I'm talking chewy cookie with a decent crunch from the nuts. You could get the same texture combo from a pairing such as toffee chunks and pecans...just swap the chocolate for toffee and the macadamias for pecans (actually that sounds really good)! The frosting is light and creamy against the cookies that are cuddling it. Simple naughty goodness. Be warned though...these bad boys are filling!


I've given a couple of other flavours a go so keep your eyes peeled for those! 
xxx

1 comment:

  1. oh wow, they look amazing! making my stomach rumble!
    http://jodie-melissa.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete