Monday, 23 September 2013

Tourists

I love reading and I love writing, but I've got to admit that half the stuff I read for my lectures gets thrown to the back burner or does little to spark much from my imagination. But Jamaica Kincaid's "A Small Place" hit me like a big ol' ton of bricks: 

"You earn money so that you could stay in a place where the sun always shines and where the climate is deliciously hot and dry for the four to ten days you are going to be staying there; and since you are on your holiday, since you are a tourist, the thought of what it might be like for someone who had to lie day in, day out in a place that suffers constantly from drought, and so has to watch carefully every drop of fresh water used...must never cross your mind." 

Deep I know. Have any books ever hit you like that? I always kind of like it when a book makes me feel guilty.

xxx

1 comment:

  1. i know what you mean, books that make you think and be thankful for what you have.

    i read chicken soup for the soul it was amazing!

    beautiesunlocked.blogspot.co.uk

    LX

    ReplyDelete