Wednesday, 16 October 2013

Things I Miss...




They say you don't know what you've got until it's gone. And oh mumma have I realised over the past couple of months that those words are true. 

Apart from the obvious things (family, friends, my own bed) there are some things that England just does better than America.

1. Chocolate.
Don't be fooled by the packaging; Even though "Dove" looks exactly the same as "Galaxy", it isn't and even though "Dairy Milk" is called "Dairy Milk" and had EXACTLY THE SAME PACKAGING, it isn't. It got to the point where my mum sent over Galaxy - a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. 

2. Toilet Flushing.
Yeah, that's right, the flushing of the lavatory. For some reason over here in America automatic flushing is nothing short of a necessity. Why? I don't get it and I don't like it. Don't ask me why. 

3. Fish & Chips. 
Obviously. I know I would have been a fool to think otherwise, but nonetheless when I saw it on the menu I couldn't resist. I knew there was going to be an inevitably dissapointing comparison and a longing for the seaside near my home after the first bite but I went ahead anyway. 

4. Manners.
This is a two-sided coin here folks. On one side, people don't stop wishing you "a nice day" and they'll be the first to compliment you on your accessories for the day, which is nothing but lovely and very appreciated - but as soon as you hold the door open for someone more than 20 seconds behind you the situation becomes very different. The person suddenly starts to look which begins with initial surprise, gradually changes to a look at fear when the thought crosses their mind that I might be doing this with some sinister expectance in mind and then ends with an awkward "thank-you" with no eye contact and a hurried scuttle away. 

5. Complaints. 
No one complains about the weather here. It's unnerving. It's raining outside, the wind is ruining everyones hair, and no one comments on the imminent weather situation. 

Apart from those 5 minor set-backs (I think I'll survive without them - perhaps not the chocolate), America, you're treating me well so far - Keep up the good work.

xxx

1 comment:

  1. Hah. This is really funny. I've lived in America and the UK and I never thought about the flushing thing before. I do agree on the manners, although, I think overall Americans are way friendlier than the Brits. xx

    ReplyDelete